CITI Human Subjects Research Educational Program Information (CITI)
Thank you for your inquiry regarding the CITI human subjects research educational modules.
As of 10-26-2011:
- Approximately 1130 institutions and organizations have access to the CITI course site world wide.
- Currently, about 35,000 people per month complete a CITI course (Basic or Refresher),
- Since 10-1-2000, over 1.3 million people have met the Federal training mandate by completing a CITI course.
The CITI human subjects research educational program consists of a Basic Course of 12 modules for
Biomedical investigators, 11 modules specifically prepared for
Investigators conducting Social / Behavioral research and
several General Interest
modules. Each institution has the flexibility to set specific
curriculum requirements for specific subgroups of their research community.
- Multiple Learner Groups can be established to customize the course
according to the learners interests or role in human subjects research.
- Each module is focused on a different aspect of bio-ethics and human subjects research.
- Each module, developed by experts in the "IRB community" has an associated quiz.
- CITI updates the modules semi-annually.
The course is hosted on secure servers at the University of Miami
and the CITI office at the University of Miami retains all records in
strict confidence. When the user completes the required course
- The learner can print / download a Completion Report that details the learners accomplishments.
- A copy of the Completion Report is e-mailed to the institutional key trainer or IRB administrator.
- The learner may complete a voluntary satisfaction survey.
- The learner may retain to the course site and download a copy of the completion report as needed.
- An administrator at each institution will have access to the CITI
Report Utilities to view the progress of an individual learner or to
download aggregate training data.
- The administrator also has access to the comments submitted by their learners about the course site.
The Institutional Page
Importantly, there is the opportunity for each participating institution to post specific materials on an "Institutional Page" that their own IRB's believe their faculty and
staff should know. The students/trainees can even be quizzed on this material if that is desirable.
The CITI Program is a not-for-profit entity at the University of Miami. Our an annual institutional subscription fee offsets the costs of running the website and the related-support services.
The annual subscription fee provides for most course content.
Organizations receive the following as part of the subscription:
- Flexibility to set specific curriculum requirements for specific subgroups of their research community, including basic and staged refresher courses
- Ability to post specific materials on an "Institutional Page". The students/trainees can even be quizzed on this material if that is desirable
- Access for an unlimited number of users to over 100 modules in the CITI Program library:
- Animal Care and Use
- Biosafety and Biosecurity(available for an additional US $500 per year/per performance site)
- U.S. Export Control Regulations (available for an additional US $300 per year/per performance site)
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- Health Information Privacy and Security (HIPS)
- Human Subjects Research (HSR) – Biomedical and Social and Behavioral focus
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) – Biomedical, Engineering, Humanities, Physical Sciences or Social and Behavioral focus
- The International Course site
- The Spanish and Portuguese language versions of the CITI Program for Latin America
Fee for Government/Not for Profit Institutions
A Regular Course Subscription is $2500.00 USD, per site
Fee for For Profit Organizations
A Regular Course Subscription is $3000.00 USD, per site
For Independent Learners (not affiliated with a participating institution)
Enrolling in One (1) Course: $75.00 USD, per individual learner
Enrolling in Three (3) Course: $200.00 USD, per individual learner
Enrolling in Four (4) Course: $250.00 USD, per individual learner
While these fees are low, they are necessary to offset the administrative costs of maintaining a high quality Program, state-of-the-art course site and first class help desk function. As a consequence, a subscription fee is requested for each major research entity within multi-site organizations (e.g., multi-facility healthcare system). The above fees do not include any additional per hour charges to set up or encode text into HTML or other tasks that require programmer or specialized staff time.
Getting Started with a Subscription
Please complete The CITI Order Form to get started.
If you would like to demo any of our courses, please contact CITI at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (305) 243-7970.